Bee’s are one of the most well known insects. They help move pollen from place to place pollinating our plants. They also make sweet honey. Without bee’s we would lose so much produce and flowers. Bee’s are very important, but if they sting you it hurts.
Many insects sting and cause pain, but usually bee’s are the first to come to mind. Bee’s don’t like to be bothered, so they tend to get defensive if someone is around their hive or family. When a bee stings it then dies due to the stinger leaving the body rupturing their their abdominal area. Bee’s get agitated very easily, so it’s best to keep a safe distance.
What Happens When You Get Stung
How to Deal with the Sting
Getting stung by a bee can be very uncomfortable, but there’s a few steps to ease the pain.
- Remove the stinger carefully and make sure to get the entire piece out.
- Thoroughly wash the affected area with soap and water.
- Apply a cold compression to ease the swelling.
- Take over the counter pain medication if the pain is too much.
The pain from a bee sting usually only lasts for 1 to 2 hours. The burning and pain the starts to slowly decrease. The swelling from the venom may increase within the 48 hours though. The swelling usually only lasts for about 7 days, and redness fades within 3 days.
Although it is uncomfortable it is best to just put a cold compress on the affected area and take some over the counter pain medication. If someone is allergic to bee’s it’s a completely different situation. Usually hives appear with trouble breathing and swallowing within two hours of the sting.
It is best to see a medical provider as soon as possible. This way they can determine how serious the allergic reaction is, and treat accordingly. In conclusion, bee stings are treatable and can usually be avoided. If you can stay a safe distance from a bee then they shouldn’t bother you. If a bee feels threatened they will sting to protect their home and family. If you do get stung follow these tips, and you should feel better soon.